www.bassweightrecordings.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

BASWGT05 - BLACK SHEEP EP - P VANS

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1BASWGT05 - BLACK SHEEP EP - P VANS Empty BASWGT05 - BLACK SHEEP EP - P VANS Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:51 am

Funkdamunk

Funkdamunk
Admin

BASWGT05
BLACK SHEEP EP
P VANS

BASWGT05 - BLACK SHEEP EP - P VANS L_ab5926ccbfdabc9717541e9d1ac704dd

a. Black sheep
b. V Dub
c. Weta cave
d. Panic attack VIP
e. Weight Break
f. Searching for sun

P-VANS
DPR Recordings / Bassweight Recordings / Aquatic Lab Recordings
http://www.myspace.com/pvans

Wellington based New Zealand DJ and producer P-Vans has always had a passion for offbeat and interesting rhythm sections. Inspired by a hybrid of UK 2-step Garage, Grime and Break-beat, P-Vans is focused on bringing something fresh and diverse to New Zealand's dance floors. Along with hosting Wellington's Home Bass show on Radio Active 89fm with his crew Strictly138, P-Vans has played support for the likes of FreQ Nasty, Digital Mystikz, Loefah, N-type, Scuba, Tayo, Stanton Warriors, 30hz, Baobinga AND DJ Distance.

"I bought my first pair of decks in 2002, at a time where I felt bass driven urban music within the 138 tempo was evolving rapidly. I would go to a record stores like Flipside, Chelsea, Real Groovy and Fusion and there was always a wicked tune that would sound so different from the last within Break-beat, Grime, 2-Step or early Dubstep stuff etc. So it was really the hybrid of those sub heavy sounds that made me start DJing."

P-Vans began playing out in Wellington around 2003 at Curve, Studio nine, Tupelo and Sandwiches earning his first support slot for FreQ Nasty in 2004. P-Vans fused alot of sub heavy 2-step and Break-beat with Grime acapellas together in to his sets back then. In 2006 P-Vans met Strictly138's Kaps, Steppa D and the Mook who had been running a local Dubstep night at the valve/room 101 and playing regular slots on Radio active's Home bass show. Around this time P-Vans was running a small Dubstep roots night down at Tupelo which eventually became known as Ghost Dubs. Sharing similar musical interests P-Vans joined the 138 crew and since then they have helped ignite and push the Dubstep sound foward in Wellington along side the work of local promoters, venues, and radio DJ's.

"I wrote a tune about mid 2006 called Replacement which I ended up taking down to the Strictly138 night at the Valve on a usb key. They were using Serato in their set up so they ran my dub on a sub boosted sound rig they had set up. Was awesome to hear my first proper Dubstep tune in a small environment where the bass filled up the room and your hair stood on end, at that point I felt my production was at least good enough to keep experimenting."

Wellington's Ghost Dubs began as a small good vibes night focusing on exposing people to the roots of Dubstep and playing new original NZ Dubs. These nights allowed for producers and DJ's to test out their beats on a heavy system in a relaxed dance floor atmosphere. Guest DJ's at Ghost Dubs have included DJ's Frostyboy, Oogun, Kanuka, Excelle, Sketchy B, UKnw, J Kon, Ekim and Flex which encompass all kinds of styles of bass culture from Jungle to 2-step, Reggae to Dubstep.

2007 was a big year for P-Vans playing support twice for UK Stalwart Mala with Strictly138 in Auckland and Wellington , hosting Radioactive 89's Homebass show on Thursday nights and running Wellington's local Ghost Dubs nights. 2007 also saw P-Vans first release "Ghost Pennies" on Wellington's Bassweight Recordings Foundation EP pt1. This year P-Vans represented Strictly138 at Auckland's seminal NZ Dubstep Wars at Rising Sun showcasing his original Dub plates which have recently been released on DPR recordings (UK). Look out for more upcoming P-Vans releases on D.P.R Recordings (UK), Aquatic Lab (AUS), and Bassweight Recordings (NZ).

P-Vans
Black Sheep EP

Black Sheep

Haunted cinematic strings and eerie atmospherics introduce P-Vans debut EP with Black Sheep. What begins as a dark halfsteppers riddim transforms in to a gritty warped bass line monster at the drop. Militant offbeat snares glide over a skipping half step beat. One for the peak time dance floors. This tune has been on Dubplate for over a year now, featuring in many of P-Vans sets around the country and receiving radio support from Radio Active, George FM and RDU DJ's. Watch out for a remix coming soon from Auckland's Frosty Boy.

V Dub

A highly swung deep dubstep roller with the bass line styling of Hip Hop and the clipped beats and rhythms of 2-step Garage. Also on dubplate for a while now and supported around the country by NZ Dubstep DJ's Oogun, Jason Howson, L Que and Undertow. V Dubs low slung bass-line digs deep in to the dance as the minimal squelchy builds, wobbles and dubbed out effects sit patiently in the background emphasising the presence of the deep chesty b-line and Phat skanking beat.

WetaCave

The moody blend of cut up distant vocal stabs, string melody's and echoey mid range bass bring the sensation of either being trapped in a Weta Cave or walking in to the darkest underground warehouse rave imaginable. The Weta Cave is filled with fierce shimmering 2-step shuffles, hi hats and booming bass instrumentation with ghostly voices and liquid sounds bringing a deeper vibe to the Black Sheep EP.

Panic Attack VIP

A subtle variation on the dubplate version of Panic Attack that has featured in most of P-Vans recent sets. The VIP version is exclusive to the Black Sheep EP. Panic Attack VIP sidesteps the haunted string elements prominant in the original version for a low fi synth melody while the gritty bass riffs roll over a deep underlying sub and a jacked up grime style drum section.

Weight Break

Tuff layered break beats and deep warped bass lines are the order of the day as P-Vans switches up the vibe with Weight Break, an energetic break beat driven bass line monster. This tune blurs the lines between break beat, garage and Dubstep similar of the vibes of the early Breakstep era. This is peak time dance floor buisness being cained around the country on dubplate in many a P-Vans set. Weight break is layered with mad spacey builds and fx and a catchy bassline that cranks at the second drop.

Searching for Sun

Finishing off the Black Sheep EP P-Vans brings a straight up summer dub vibe to the table with Searching for Sun. Cool soothing fx reverbs, 4x4 drum section and lush pads add a relaxed vibe to the dance while the dubby bassline sits underneath the crisp cutting live drum section. One for the skankers and fans of dub laced tunes. This one inspired hugely by the vibes of Wellington dub and roots bands like Trinity Roots and Kora.

All tracks written by: Phil Van der Reyden

Mastered by:
Transition Mastering Studios
Kemble House Kemble Road
London
SE23 2DJ
http://www.dub-plates.org/

© 2008 Bassweight Recordings

BASWGT05 - BLACK SHEEP EP - P VANS Beatport_logobox_large_grn

this will be a beatport exclusive for the first 6 months
https://www.beatport.com/en-US/html/content/label/detail/8262/bassweight_recordings
for more info go to www.bassweightrecordings.com

https://bassweightrecordings.forumotion.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum